On Monday, November 29, 2016, Komar University of Science and Technology held a workshop on “Library and Information Management for Academics”. One of the slogan of Komar University is ethics, this workshop encouraged the participant to abide by the code of ethics when using software.
Tens of Faculty Members and senior students have participated in the workshop and gained practical knowledge on library management, information organization and citation process.
Participants were introduced to Mendeley, which is a desktop software and web program, for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research papers and data as well as online collaboration. The big advantage of this software is cross-platform (available for Windows, OS X, Linux, Android and iOS) and FREE.
Mendeley requires the user to store all basic citation data on its servers-storing copies of documents is at the user’s discretion. Upon registration, Mendeley provides the user with 2 GB of free web storage space, which is upgradeable at a cost.
Mendeley is free and university faculty member and students can benefit from it in managing their library, it is very helpful in citation process and bibliography insertion into Microsoft Word.
Outline of the workshop:
- Download and Installation of Mendeley.
- User creation and database sync.
- Add files and library organizations.
- Citation and bibliography insertion in to MS Word.
- Search for relevant articles inside Mendeley and on web.
- Finding related articles to those in your library.
- Migrate from other library management software such as Mendeley, Zotero, Papers, etc.