As any educational institution, Komar was developed from an idea to plan and then a project. During each phase, there were different persons contributed to the project.The Administration Council decided to name the following individuals as co-founders of KUST. Some of them contributed academically and others financially.
- Dr. Kamal Tawfiq, Professor of Civil Engineering at Florida State University
- Dr. Hayder Al- Shukri, Professor of Applied Sciences at University of Arkansas in Little Rock
- Dr. Peter Garretson, Professor of History at Florida State University
- Dr. Abdulaziz AlSebial, Associate Professor of Arabic Literature.
- Dr. Michal Basile, Director of International Affairs at Murray State University
- Mr. Aso Mohmad Ali, Owner of Halabja Groups
- Mr. Ahmed Faraj Ali, Owner of Miran Groups
- Mr. Hissian Salih Sharif, Owner of Kaso Groups
- Mr. Jamal Abdul, Educational and Government Official
- Mr. Mustafa Abdulrahman, Owner of Ikhwan Groups
- Mr. Abed Sulaiman, Owner of Diwan Groups
- Mr. Karwan Ali Abdullah, Businessman
- Mr. Hiwa Hawrami, Businessman